THIS NOTICE DESCRIBES HOW MEDICAL INFORMATION ABOUT YOU MAY BE USED AND DISCLOSED AND HOW YOU CAN GET ACCESS TO THIS INFORMATION. PLEASE REVIEW IT CAREFULLY.
New Horizons Physical Therapy & Lymphedema Care, LLC is required by law to protect the privacy of your personal health information (PHI) and we have provided this notice about our information practices and follow the information practices that are described herein.
This Notice describes how we may use and disclose our patients' protected health information to carry out medical treatment or health care operations and for other purposes that are permitted or required by law.
In any other situation, New Horizons Physical Therapy & Lymphedema Care, LLC policy is to obtain your written authorization before disclosing your personal health information.
USES AND DISCLOSURES
OF HEALTH INFORMATION
We will use your protected health information (PHI) for the purposes of treatment, payment and health care operations.
Treatment includes the disclosure of health information to other providers who have referred you for services or are involved in your care. This may include doctors, nurses, technicians and other physical therapists.
Payment includes the disclosure of personal health information to your insurance company, including Medicare and Medicaid, so payment can be obtained for services rendered. Your insurance company may make a request to review your medical record to determine that your care was necessary.
Health Care Operations includes the utilization of your records to monitor the quality of care being given at our facility or for business planning activities.
Other Special Uses
Our practice may use your PHI to send you an appointment reminder, to inform you of our other health-related products and services.
Uses and Disclosures Required by Law
The federal health information privacy regulations either permit or require us to use or disclose your PHI in the following ways:
- We may share some of your PHI with a family member or friend involved in your care if you do not object.
- We may use your PHI in an emergency situation when you may not be able to express yourself.
- We may also disclose your PHI when we are required to do so by law, for example by court order or subpoena.
- Disclosures to health oversight agencies are sometimes required by law to report certain diseases or adverse drug reactions.
- We may use and disclose health information about you to avert a serious threat to your health or safety or the health or safety of the public or others.
- If you are in the Armed Forces, we may release health information about you when it is determined to be necessary by the appropriate military command authorities.
- We may also release information about you for workers’ compensation or other similar programs that provide benefits for work-related injury or illness.
- We may use or disclose your protected health information in the following situations without your consent in the matters involving Public Health, Communicable Diseases, Legal Proceedings, Abuse or neglect, Law Enforcement, Criminal Activity, Food and Drug Administration, Coroners, Funeral Directors, Organ Donation
YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS
You have the right to request restrictions on how your PHI is used, however, we are not required to agree with your request. If we do agree, we must abide by your request.
You have the right to request confidential communication from us at a location of your choosing. This request must be in writing.
Access to PHI
You have the right to request a copy of your medical record. You must make this request in writing and we may charge a fee to cover the costs of copying and mailing.
You have the right to request an amendment be made to your PHI, if you disagree with what it says about you. This request must be made in writing. If we disagree with you, we are not required to make the change. You do have the right to submit a written statement about why you disagree that will become part of your record. We may not amend parts of your medical record that we did not create.
Accounting of Disclosures
You have the right to request an accounting of the disclosures made in the previous six years. These disclosures will not include those made for treatment, payment, or health care operations or for which we have obtained authorization.
If you feel that your privacy rights have been violated, you have the right to make a complaint to us in writing without fear of retaliation. Your complaint should contain enough specific information so that we may adequately investigate and respond to your concerns. If you are not satisfied with our response, you may complain directly to the Secretary of Health and Human Services.
Our Duty to Protect Your Privacy
We are required to comply with the federal health information privacy regulations by maintaining the privacy of your PHI. We reserve the right to update this notice anytime. If we do update this notice at any time in the future, a new Notice of Information Practices will be posted on our company website.
If you have questions about this Notice, please contact our staff at the address and telephone number listed below.
Privacy official contact information
You may contact our office at the following address and phone number: New Horizons Physical Therapy & Lymphedema Care, 6-20 Towne Center Dr, NJ 08902, Phone # 732-658-1986